Monday, February 1, 2010

One Month Down!

It has been an eventful couple of weeks. Probably the most important couple of weeks of why I was sent to Camp Bastion. We built a small medical center and I even got to do quite a bit of manual labor. Here I am working on the generator for the medical center.

We also needed some gravel to put down to reduce dust, mud, and ponding. We paid a contractor to bring the gravel in and dump it. This is a picture of one of the dump trucks that came in. There are lots of trucks that look like this both here and at KAF. Everybody calls them "jingle trucks". The operators get very creative with their jingle trucks.

We brought in a team of Civil Engineer troops to help me build the medical center. Here are some of the guys and myself posing by the medical transport bus.










Church is a huge refresher for me. We meet every Sunday at 12:30 in the afternoon, and then all go to lunch together afterwards. It is always good to gather with the Saints. There between 10-20 folks that show up every week. Here is a picture of the chapel we have sacrament meeting in.




One month has come and gone. Hopefully another month will come and go soon as well. I am very grateful to have this experience. Everyday is challenging and rewarding. So far I know I will look back on this and be very proud to be a part of it.

5 comments:

  1. What would they do without you??? We're glad you are busy and that time is going by quickly. We're also glad that your sweet family has such great friends in Altus to take care of them during ice storms. Take care of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds like you're really getting some good hands on experiences over there. I bet it's a good feeling to see something come together and know that you were a big part of it happening. I can't believe it's already been a month. Hopefully time keeps going by quickly, but what a neat experience. As for Adreann and the kids, I'm so grateful that you guys have made such good friends in Altus! We're glad the power is back on and that everyone's well.

    We love hearing how you're doing and seeing what you're up to. Stay busy and safe.

    Love The Hill Clan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bert...its Keegan. Looks like your really settling in over there. I know you are wanting the time to fly so can come back home, but I do catch a hint of excitement and adventure in your blog. I'm glad to hear you're liking your experience, I actually wish I could be a part of it as well, but having you there is like a part of us is serving our country too. This is the greatest country in the world, I'm very proud to be an American and to have a brother-in-law who is serving our country with HONOR!! Have a great week! HUUAAA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such a big dog over there, Bert! And such a saint too...look at you loving church;)! We miss you here!

    The Merbacks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Burt,
    Just wanted you to know we are thinking about you and your family. Hope things are going well for you. You look like you are enjoying yourself as much as you can. Take care.

    ReplyDelete