Friday, January 8, 2010

Part of the Surge








Here I am at BWI standing in a long line getting ready to head to the desert. I felt like I was an ant marching in line.




This other picture is me in my gear leaving Kyrgyzstan and heading to Kandahar. I know, I look rather goofy.


















Once I made it to Kandahar (also known as KAF), my boss informed me that I was to go to Camp Bastion and do some work there. So after a week at KAF I was already on another plane to go off on another adventure. This is a picture of me in a C-130, on my way to camp Bastion.




Camp Bastion is a British air base, and they share a little bit of it with the U.S. The British was nice enough to let me sleep in their tents. Here is the outside and inside of the section of tents that I sleep in.











Well so far it has been very exciting and busy. I have been sleeping in tents and don't get much time to relax. But that's good, because the time will go by fast. Thanks for all of your support and will post again sometime.



10 comments:

  1. Looking good Bert. Those cots look comfy and I'm sure those tents are just as great as they look! Keep up the blogging when you have a minute, we love seeing what you're up to. Adreann and the kids are coming up this weekend for Dallin's birthday, we're excited to have them come. Know that you're truly in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks pretty flat around there. Stay safe. Love You Janis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics! I like how you are fortified in all the gear on the C-17 and the guy beside you is just chillin with his i-pod. Be safe! -Jen-

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love the pictures! Those tents look really cool! We hope things are great for you out there! We live in Tulsa! Could you email us or give us your home number or something and maybe we could stop by and visit your family! jnsmason@gmail.com
    Good Luck, we're praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, so the previous elka post was really elliott! anyway, hope you continue to do well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! Cots and tents for 6 months? It sounds like girls camp HELL;) I"m so glad you can have this blog and LOVE the first hand information and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bert, I totally wouldn't imagine you being one to have privacy issues (Taylor Swift lip synching, anyone?), but if putting up a curtain around your cot while everyone else is letting it all hang out is what gets you through the day, then good on ya! And ditto on the comment re: your kevlar and the dude's ipod. Classic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, really homey in those tents, huh Bert? Maybe you could spruce up the place with a plastic plant or something:) Oh, and you don't look goofy in you gear - more like stalwart. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bert, Love looking at your blog and pics you post. I talked with Dallin today and he told me he had just talked with you. We are getting a lot of rain and cold. What is the weather like there? Gram said to tell you hi, I'm in Beaverdam right now. If the beds are better there what are they like at the air base? Love you Peg

    ReplyDelete